Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A Sudden Turn

When I was looking up on information about the Australia graduate engineers working visa, I found some people on the Internet commenting that it might take several months for the visa to be approved. I was being too optimistic, hoping to fly straight to the country around June or July, after I sat for IELTS and obtained my visa.

If that is the case, I may have several months, if not half a year before I finally fly to Australia. So instead of sitting around and waiting, I sent job applications to some local companies, hopefully to fill my 6-months gap with basic working experience. I didn't really expect much.

Then this afternoon, an email arrived at my inbox. The subject is about an interview of an electrical design engineer position. The sender's name is not local, and I see that her address is from a company called Rutherford Global Power. This is a reply of my random application for a company in Nusajaya. I didn't check its background. It was a random and blind try.

I was about to reply the email when father came home and took me and my brother out for lunch. During lunch, I received a phone call from an unknown number. I didn't look clearly at the number, but I saw it started with the country code +61. My first instinct was that it must be one of my friends using their Singaporean number to call me.

The person on the other side turned out to be a female, with a slang that is definitely not from Malaysia or Singapore. The person introduced herself and explained to me the reason for the phone call. It was the sender this afternoon.
"I noticed from your application that you have studied in Australia before, am I right?"
"Yes, I have."
"So I assume you will not have trouble understanding what I am saying. *chuckle*"
It was a call regarding the interview date and time. She briefed me with the company location and some details on the interview. It was only until after I hung up that I realized the country code +61 is, in fact, Australia.

A quick search on the Internet revealed that Rutherford Global Power is part of a group called Rutherford Group, which is an Australian power/utility company. I wanted to work in Australia, but due to visa requirement, I chose to stay in Malaysia for the time being. I didn't expect to get an offer from an Australian-based company here. It was a very lucky coincidence.

At the time of writing, I am waiting for the interview, set at two days later. I hope the interview goes smoothly and satisfactory.

1 comment:

Disclaimer: Comment at your own risk.