Monday, May 12, 2014

#4: We were Classmates


You were sitting in front of me. We were chatting. We were quite close. How long had it been since we last talked? 10 years? 15 years? I do not remember.

Some years ago, I took the chance to search for you on the social network. It didn't take long to find you. Even after we connected, we never talked. Not even once.

Then about a year ago, I saw your wedding announcement. It was a strange feeling. I didn't feel hurt at all, even though you once were rather important to me, back when we were still young, innocent kids. I guess it was the innocence and naivety that made me thought you were important. Looking back, I have done some foolish things, and it could be the reason you seemingly avoided me. The only reply I ever received from you is a letter back in 2002.

I still remember I joked about this matter with my friend last year. I asked him whether he still remember you, since he used to tease me about it. Over the years, we had grown up; we no longer laugh at each other. Naturally, there was no big reactions from both of us when we talked about this. It was a very casual talk.

And there we were, sitting in front of each other. We talked about your wedding, our life during and after primary school, which was the last time we were classmates. Both of us went on our way after that, and gradually we forgot each other.

I was calm when we talked, which was weird. I was supposed to feel hurt, but I didn't. I didn't feel anything at all, as if you never even existed in my life before. It was like a casual talk with an acquaintance. I guess that over the years, I have learnt to let go. This is called growing up.

I don't specifically remember what we talked. Soon, we had to go on our separate way again. I never see you anymore, because that was the only time I dreamt about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Comment at your own risk.