20th January, 2011
We had a space shuttle in our world. Strictly speaking, it was not exactly a space shuttle. It was some kind of commercial plane, but with a rather sleek body shape. The plane was capable of flying to an altitude so high that you could exit the atmosphere for a very brief view of the outer space. I was lucky to be one of the passenger of this plane.
The plane could only fly past the thin blue line, the line that separates the Earth's upper atmosphere and the outer space, albeit for a very short period of time - less than 5 minutes. I boarded the plane along with other passengers, and we prepared to take off.
The take-off was pretty smooth, unlike those of conventional space shuttle. To exit the Earth's atmosphere, the plane needed to thrust forward into the sky for about 10 minutes. The plane was equipped with state-of-the-art life support system and an artificial gravity system, so that when we exited the Earth's atmosphere, and thus the gravitational pull, we would not float around in zero gravity, nor would we run out of oxygen. So it was very safe for untrained personnel to board the plane.
After about 10 minutes, the sky slowly turned dark. We exited the Earth's atmosphere, to which I was greeted with an indescribable breathtaking view. I saw the Moon, with my naked eyes, for the very first time, hanging against a dark starry space backdrop. I saw Mars, too, with its unique red hue surface. Then there was Saturn with its trademark ring of debris. It was stunning. Absolutely stunning.
I quickly took out my camera phone to take a snapshot, but before I could do that, I heard a beeping sound. I turned around to find out where it came from, but my vision started to blur. Before I knew it, I felt a hard yank from my back.
I opened my eyes, I was lying down. Alas, it was nothing but a dream.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Disclaimer: Comment at your own risk.