Sunday, July 08, 2012

28 days

On June 12, 2012, I came back to my home country Malaysia. In the following 28 days, I would enjoy the best vacation ever since I went overseas with plenty of badminton outings, old friends gathering, window shopping, and of course, enjoying good food with loved one.

Studying overseas has not been an enjoyable experience for me. Granted, I enjoyed the scenery and the life in a different culture, but somehow deep inside, there is still something missing.

I knew it all along. It is the social link that is missing.

The system in RMIT is different. Classmates come and go; course mates may be studying in the same course, but enrolled in completely different classes throughout the 4 years of degree. It is difficult to get acquaint with someone taking the same subjects as me. I admit I am not a very outgoing person, so joining a club or society is something I will not do actively.

That is the reason why I always walk alone in Australia and surf Facebook almost every day.

Around the time I came back, most of my old friends were sitting for their final exams. The difference this time around is that those exams would be the last in their study life. They are graduating.

At the time of writing this post, they are having their 3 months long holiday. Some of them are working as interns, some are relaxing. This is a very good opportunity to gather, meeting those I have not met for more than 4 to 5 years. The experience was great. Time moves, people change, and I cannot agree more. We were close friends once, but now I find that I am having difficulty conversing with them. It is as if there is a gap of void between us. A 5-year gap.

Coming Tuesday (July 10, 2012) I will be flying back to Australia; back to the dull student life there, where daily routines include taking a train to school, eating, and sleeping. I used to enjoy my life in UTM: living together in the same hostel block, playing basketball every evening. Then I changed to Taylor's, and it took me 1 year to settle down and really enjoy the life there. After a short one and a half years, I was transferred to RMIT. It has been 1 year since.

How long will I take to finally settle down and enjoy my life here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Comment at your own risk.