Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Second Flight

November 12th was the second flight of my life, back from Melbourne to Singapore. I wasn't as anxious as the first time, nor scared. I remember the first time I sit on a plane, looking out from the window towards the wing. I remember the sensation of the plane taxiing into the runway and starting to speed up.

The flight on that day was normal. There were more people going out from Melbourne than the day I went into it. The flight was on the way to Dubai, but stopped at Singapore to drop off some passengers. That would explain the crowd. The old couple beside me were heading to Sri Lanka. But I changed my seat later on due to inconvenience (the old man is injured or something, and getting out was pretty difficult).

My flight was at 7pm, when the evening was still full of sunlight (summer). So I managed to have a brief look at part of Victoria. Indeed, most of the landscapes I saw were farms. Australia is an agricultural country anyway. Patches of green and yellow fields dot the part of Victoria that I could see.

During my flight to Melbourne on July 4th, I had nothing much to do. I listened to some of my favourite artist's songs. On my flight back to Singapore, I discovered that there were movies to watch on the plane. They provided some of the most recent movies, although few of them I have never heard of. Browsing through, I selected three movie to watch: Captain America, Thor, and X-Men: First Class. All of them were awesome. The flight was about 7 and a half hour long, so I could only watch three movies.

I had a strange experience during the descending. While watching the final part of X-Men, I felt something flowed down from my nose. Initially I thought I had a sudden runny nose, so I wiped them with my finger. "Was the ending part of the movie so touching that I couldn't resist to weep?"

I was shocked to see my finger was instead covered in blood. I didn't have any runny nose at all; I had nosebleed.

Luckily I brought my handkerchief with me, but my nose kept on bleeding. I peeked at the young adults beside me. They looked pretty fine, snuggling and trying to sleep. I couldn't do anything, so I tried to sniff and control the bleeding. Then I heard other people started sniffing too. I'm not sure if they are having the same symptom or just runny nose. It was too dark to see anything.

Pressure building up during ascending and descending is very common and normal. I didn't have the same symptom when I landed in Melbourne. Whatever caused it, I had to wait until I got back home and try to Google it.

Turns out it is caused by dryness. Maybe Australia is too dry. No matter what, it was a scary moment. I thought I would pass out or something.

When I reached the airport, I was very happy to see my parents and my girlfriend waiting for me outside the gate. So what if I don't have friends sending me off or picking me up?

As long as I have a loving family and my loving girlfriend, I am very happy.

1 comment:

Disclaimer: Comment at your own risk.