Friday, April 03, 2009

Why is soft drink cans tall and slim rather than short and wide?

Once again folks, I stumbled upon the book last week when I went to Jusco and buy some mineral water (Limited Edition!).
It's Spitzer Love Mineral Water! Limited Edition!
From the previous post, I've mentioned that making the cans short and wide would save up to 30% of aluminium than making them the conventional way: tall and slim. So, why do soft drinks companies still manufacture them in the shape of tall cylindrical cans? The answer is pretty straightforward. First, there's this marvelous thingy called optical illusion. People are easily fooled by optical illusion. People think that they saw a curvy line in what appear to be a perfectly straight line. People think that tall slim cans contain more liquid than the short wide counterpart. People think that the yellow rectangle is longer than the green rectangle. People think that they are smart. But in reality, people are fooled by their own mind. Oh joy! The other reason is that people prefer tall slim cans rather than short wide cans. I don't exactly know why, maybe it's psychological factor, like people prefer to have a circular clock rather than a square, even though they both serve the same function equally well. This is a rather short question. Next up: Why are some cars have their petrol tank at the left side, while some others are at the right side?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Comment at your own risk.