Hmm, it's been a long time since I last blog in this blog. Almost 2 months, to be exact. Jeez, I've been switching to chinese blog in my MSN Space, and it's not possible to write in 2 blogs at the same time, right?
Now I am switching back to english blog (well, at least once in a time I will write here) hoping it will help me maintain my english standard. Ever since I left my respected english tuition teacher, Ms Shyamala, I have not been writing many english essays or compositions for a very long time. This, indirectly, makes me unfamiliar to write essays anymore. Many words I have forgotten; many expression I have unrecalled. Fortunately, I still have not forgotten the "root" of the English Tree, i.e., the grammar. The basic that Teacher constructed will be etched inside my mind forever (although sometimes my grammar is still doubtful).
We will be taking the MUET test this mid-year, and STPM this year-end. Upon hearing these four-lettered words, be it the MUET or the STPM, friends around me would tremble, letting out sighs, or showing signs of desperation on their face. It has not been easy for them, many of whom grow up from chinese speaking environment, to score in this important test which will determine their pathways in the near future. Even I myself, being their respected "Bananaman" (a person who is good in english), also having a hard time to pass the test with flying colours; to follow my 2 brothers' footsteps, getting a Band 5 or Band 6. Last year was the first time we sit for the MUET test, and about last month, we got the result. Majority of my friends got Band 3, a band considered as "Modest User". According to other people, there is only one person who got a Band 5, and she will be a contender I aim to beat.
There is a friend of mine, whose english standard is relatively competent (he got a 2A in his 1119 two years ago, whereas I only managed to get 3B). Without doubt, he got a Band 4, same as mine. But upon hearing he got a 4, he didn't seem happy nor contented. He targeted a 5, the minimum band to enrol into most of the Singapore's univerisities. He scored 204 points, while I got 211, less 9 points to get myself under the category of "Good User". That was also my target, and friends belive the chance of me achieving it is quite high. Hence, I think that reviving this dead ol' blog might help me familiarize myself with writing english, apart from reading novels or articles, which only improves my reading skill. Upon checking my result slip, I scored very high, if not the highest in this school (even higher than the Band 5 girl), in the Reading Comprehension section, but I scored miserably in both the Listening and Speaking section, whereas Writing I managed to score above average. No doubt I failed to secure a good result in the Speaking section as I know my english speaking ability is not that respectable, but I still feel rather doubtful that I couldn't score well in the Listening section...
Well, I write this blog is not to brag about myself, but to try to familiarize myself to writing english all over again. It is clear that after writing chinese blog for so long, my chinese improved not drastically, but people around me do detected a glimmer of improvement. Therefore, by reviving this blog, I hope that the same glimmer will shine upon me, so that getting a Band 5 will no longer be a dream, but a milestone in my life.
Work hard for a better future!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Disclaimer: Comment at your own risk.