Pretty much have happened these days, though pretty much nothing have changed since the last time I came back in June. Life has been good for my family living here in the estate, and they have gotten used to it. Grandma is still healthy looking, though it seems she is not as nimble and energetic as before. Dad is restricting her to move around freely, afraid she might trip on something, twigs or even dogs. Old age has caught up everyone in this world, including Dad. Time is something that we unwillingly and unknowingly chase, but will never catch up.
I remember on August 1st, when Dad and Mom came up to KL for cousin's wedding, I saw a not-so-familiar small blotch around the corner of Dad's eye. It looks like a scar, a wound of some sort, but what Dad said that day made me think a lot.
That is not a scar or wound. That is old people blotch. People will get it when they are old.Dad said that with a little frown, but he tried to cover it with a happy tone. I could see that he is not very happy about that small blotch neither. Who would feel happy when he or she sees our body is changing due to old age? I would not feel happy too.
That made me realize that Dad has aged. He is not the strong built man who managed to survive a motorcycle crash many years ago. Though Dad still has his infamous potbelly, heavily tanned skin, 70's style big rounded spectacles that has been worn for as long as I can remember, moderate sense of humour, and his wise advices, old age seems to catch up too soon.
Wish time could stop forever.
Mom has always been a workaholic. Even with over 30km apart, she still goes to work every morning, for the sake of the family. She has to do almost all the housework as Grandma is not very convenient to do anything anymore. Chickens and dogs, Mom has to feed them. It is a good thing that the chickens are pretty independent, they can go around poking their heads here and there, scratching the ground and scouring for food. The yard here must be a haven for them.They can fly or run anywhere they want, play tag, going out for some lepak-ing without any worry, except the dogs. But still, they are living quite a happy life. I am definitely sure.
These few days Dad had been asking me out. Monday we went around in search of a HDMI cable, and Giant for some Father-Son shopping. Sounds odd, but it was enjoyable. Tuesday we went for a nearby ice kacang stall. Dad says it is very nice. I took the opportunity to drive a manual transmission car, the company's Suzuki Jimny, a 'miniature Pajero' as my Dad loves to put it. Though it is pretty roughed up, overall it still operates just fine. I have not driven a manual transmission car since the day I passed my driving lesson, so this was a pleasant experience. I don't know whether Dad wants to show me around, or just wants to spend more time with me, or both. Either way, it was very enjoying going out with Dad.
Two days ago, a relative brought a puppy for us. Said he picked it up from somewhere. It looks cute, but one thing Mom noticed straight away: The puppy has a chain around its neck. Could this be someone else's puppy? We didn't know, but today Mom said the owner is looking for the puppy. So now it is a question of morality: Give back the dog and be a good Samaritan, or pretend we don't know. It is not a decision I have to make. I would prefer giving back the dog.
But luck says differently. It is playing fool on us. In a twist of events, the day after my relative brought the puppy, he struck a lottery. As if it was not enough, he won the first prize. Grandma, being superstitious as she always has, says the puppy brings us luck, because she too struck a lottery. Not the first prize but a decent win anyhow.
Does 'Lucky Star' really exist? I am neutral. I believe in luck, but not to the extend of bringing-a-puppy/fish/rabbit/chicken-and-strike-a-jackpot. The world is really mysterious.
Think that is all for today. Stay tuned for more updates. In the meantime, I'm going to swat some more flies.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Disclaimer: Comment at your own risk.